To express your interest in this position give us a call on 07 3841 7011 or complete the form below. We welcome the opportunity to meet and discuss this role with you further.
Veterinary Nurse Maternity Leave Contract - Underwood Hospital
An opportunity has become available for a Veterinary Nurse to join our team to cover staff maternity leave beginning in April 2022. The maternity leave contract is available for 9 months with the possibility to be extended. This is an outstanding opportunity for a dedicated, compassionate, energetic person to take on a maternity leave contract (9 day fortnight) position of Veterinary Nurse located at our Underwood hospital.
We would like to invite all suitably qualified staff in this role to apply
Reporting directly to the Veterinary Nurse Managers / Nurse Shift Supervisors / Veterinarians (Partners, Seniors, Consultants, Interns)
The Role includes but is not limited to:
- Ensure animal admittances and pre-prep procedures are carried out as instructed and as per policy and procedure/as directed.
- Undertake preparation of animal for specific procedures according to policy and procedure/as directed and as instructed
- Monitor and record patient vital signs
- Undertake post-op patient plan programs in line with veterinarian’s instructions
- Undertake daily treatments, routines and nursing care of patients
- Maintain a high level of hygiene in wards, dog, cat, treatment wards
- Demonstrate compassionate, empathetic and caring approach to all patients
- Ensure safe handling techniques of animals are utilised by all staff in line with policy and procedures (OHS).
- Ensure Hospital pain management protocols are adhered to at all times
- Prepare equipment and instruments for specific procedures such as ultrasound and catheterisation as per policy and procedures/as directed.
- Ensure equipment and instruments are cleaned and maintained in line with policy and procedures/as directed.
The successful candidate will possess:
- The ability to work a rotating roster with hours falling between 7.00am and 9pm Monday to Friday
- Cert IV in Veterinary Nursing with a keen interest in Medicine and Surgery
- The willingness to perform gold standard patient care
- The ability to give support to other nurses, receptionists, veterinarians when and as required.
Why we hope you’ll join us:
- Small team where all departments work closely together
- Mentoring from experienced vets & nurses
- Skill advancement opportunities & learning encouraged through in-house CE
- Regular nurse meetings to provide updates & CE
- Daily team meetings to plan the day and improve communication
- Great work life balance, minimal weekend rostering, no night work, 9 day fortnight.
- Flexibility & Adaptability
- Use of advanced equipment & technology
- Possibility of nursing critical care patients
- Monitoring anaesthesia in advanced surgical procedures
- No reception duties required (separate reception team)
- Minimal hospital cleaning duties required (kennel hand employed)
- Engage in lots of team activities outside of work - conference, gala ball, dinners, xmas parties
- Morning tea & lunch frequently provided
Why you might not to join us:
- Our case load is unpredictable and complex and our clients are devoted to their pets! They are with us to get the best care and they want to see that delivered in a compassionate and professional way. While this can be stressful, the overwhelming majority of our clients and patients are very grateful for the work we do
- There is a high rate of change in the organisation at the moment. We are making changes to procedures, protocols and staffing levels. These are all with the intent of improving our environment, but some changes take time to progress through into reality and adaption is required.
Commensurate on qualifications and experience this role is classified as Veterinary Nurse Level 4 to 5.
Please either submit your CV and a covering letter to us at HR@vss.net.au. You can check out our website (vss.net.au), have a look at our Veterinary Resource Area at https://www.vss.net.au/vss-resource-area.html or let us know if you’d like to talk to one of our team members for some unbiased feedback on how things are in the clinic. We recently asked our nurses what it was like to work at VSS - you can find what they say here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEg57QharBU.
Please email applications: