To express your interest in this position give us a call on 07 3841 7011 or complete the form below. We welcome the opportunity to meet and discuss this role with you further.
Medicine Specialist - Underwood Hospital
Are you a Small Animal Internal Medicine specialist or registrar who enjoys a work environment where a complex case load is managed by a genuine multi-disciplinary team?
Would you like to be part of a workplace where the aim is to allow the vets to do the medicine and the practice creates an environment and staff mix to manage the other parts of day-to-day practice?
Most if not all Veterinary practices have become significantly busier over the last 2 years. We have not been immune to this and are adapting our teams and processes with the aim of delivering the excellent patient care we are known for while trying to provide our team with a working environment that is sustainable for them. This is a big challenge! We need the right people to help us manage our caseload and would like to increase our team size in the internal medicine department at our hospital located in Underwood.
Veterinary Specialist Services is an established Small Animal referral practice in South East Queensland. This role would be based at our Underwood practice in Brisbane. We are striving to create an environment where people can do their best work. We have many things to work on to get there and we are adapting as fast as possible. Our teams are very passionate about delivering patient care and support each other to do it. We have a very diverse skill set and can offer just about all specialties, diagnostic modalities, and therapies across our practice group. We have residency training programs for vets, in-house training programs for nurses and over the years, about 20% of our interns have gone on to become registered Specialists. We are involved in the industry with wide participation in professional groups, universities, and continuing education courses and we have our own conference. The Underwood hospital specifically has specialists in Internal
Medicine, Small Animal Surgery, Cardiology, Emergency and Critical Care, Ophthalmology, and Dermatology. We have a visiting specialist in Anaesthesia and very experienced Animal
What we are looking for
- A person who will be a genuine team player in a large team. This means different personalities, work styles, and methods, but with the same ultimate goal.
- A person who understands that we all have a role to play and that the ultimate outcome is to deliver the best possible care for our patients, their families, and our referring veterinarians.
- A person who is genuinely adaptable - we’ve had to change a whole lot of things over the last 2 years and foresee ongoing change and adaptation to improve our workplace.
- A person who understands that when a patient needs us, we will do our utmost to be there and give it the care it needs.
- A person with the requisite training (residency training in Small Animal Internal medicine) or qualifications (FANZCVS, DACVIM, DECVIM) and experience to manage our complex caseload.
Why we hope you’ll want to join us.
- We practice genuine multidisciplinary medicine at the Specialist level. We really can offer just about any treatment, but we consider everything through the lens of our training programs and experience.
- We are evolving the company with a focus on people, their careers, and their development. This is a work in progress, but we want the right people along for the journey. Recent examples are the introduction of medical typists to help vets manage their patient records and client liaison officers with industry experience to triage client phone messages.
- We listen and try to respond to our people’s needs. We don’t always get it right, but we will keep trying. We are owned and run by veterinarians who work on the floor in the clinic.
Why you might not want to join us.
- Our case load is high, unpredictable, and complex. This brings its stressors as our clients are very devoted. They are just about always very grateful for the work we do, but they are with us to get the care they need and really want to see that delivered in a compassionate and professional way.
- There is a high rate of change in the organization at the moment. We are making changes to procedures, protocols, and staffing levels. These are all with the intent of improving our environment, but some changes take time to progress into reality, and adaptation is required.
Please either submit your CV and a covering letter to us at HR@vss.net.au, or contact Chantal Kriel (Underwood Hospital Operation Manager) if you’d like any more information. We understand the employment market for Veterinarians is competitive and are happy to talk about remuneration. We’ve got the policies and support programs you’d expect from a larger practice. You can check out our website (vss.net.au), and have a look at our Veterinary Resource Area in the (just clinical information https://www.vss.net.au/vss-resource-area.html or let us know if you’d like to talk to one of our team members for some unbiased feedback on how things are in the clinic. We recently asked our staff what it was like to work at VSS - you can find what they say here https://www.vss.net.au/veterinary-