Cancer in dogs and cats can be caused by many factors including environmental factors and genetic factors.
- Sarcomas: This type of cancer starts in the tissue that supports or surrounds organs, muscle, bone, and fibrous tissue.
- Carcinomas: This type of cancer is a malignant tumour located in the epidermal layer of the skin.
- Lymphomas: This cancer affects cells within the immune system.
- Leukaemias: This type of cancer occurs inside blood-forming tissues and blood cells.
- Skin cancers: The most common type of skin cancer in dogs is called mast cell tumour.
- Brain tumours: This type of cancer originates in the brain cells.
As with humans, cancer in dogs and cats can often be treated with surgery and/or chemotherapy.