To express your interest in this position give us a call on 07 3841 7011 or complete the form below. We welcome the opportunity to meet and discuss this role with you further.
ICU Veterinarian - Carrara Hospital
Are you an experienced veterinarian who enjoys the challenge of managing critically ill patients?
Do you have high-level clinical skills and the desire to practice gold standard care in a specialist hospital?
Are you ready to take your skills to the next level, but not sure if you want to undertake a residency training program or sit membership exams?
Do you like the challenge of a busy environment with complex cases and dedicated owners?
Most if not all Veterinary practices have become significantly busier over the last 2 years. We have not been immune to this and are adapting our teams and processes with the aim of delivering the excellent patient care we are known for while trying to provide our team with a working environment that is sustainable for them. This is a big challenge! We need the right people to help us manage our increasing caseload. We think that the ideal person for the full-time role of ICU Veterinarian will have a passion for managing critically ill patients and will enjoy working closely with the support of our established specialist team. We believe this team approach is essential to deliver the best outcomes for patients, clients, and referring practices.
Veterinary Specialist Services is an established Small Animal referral practice in South East Queensland. This role would be based at our Carrara practice on the beautiful Gold Coast. We are striving to create an environment where people can do their best work. We have many things to work on to get there, and we are adapting as fast as possible. Our teams are very passionate about delivering patient care and support each other to do it. We have a very diverse skill set and can offer just about all specialties, diagnostic modalities, and therapies across our practice group. We have residency training programs for vets, and in-house training programs for nurses, and over the years, about 20% of our interns have gone on to become registered Specialists. We are involved in the industry
with wide participation in professional groups, universities, and continuing education courses and we have our own conference.
What we are looking for is a person who
- will be a genuine team player. This means with different personalities, work styles, and methods, but with the same ultimate goal.
- possesses excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a proven ability to clearly communicate with tact and diplomacy amongst a diverse range of people.
- wants to develop themselves and their clinical skills and can do so knowing they have the support of more experienced team members.
- understands that we all have a role to play and that the ultimate outcome is to deliver the best possible care for our patients, our clients, and our referring veterinarians.
- is genuinely adaptable - we’ve had to change a whole lot of things over the last 2 years and foresee ongoing change and adaptation to improve our workplace.
Why we hope you’ll want to join us.
- We practice genuine multidisciplinary medicine at the Specialist level. We really can offer just about any treatment, but we consider everything through the lens of our training programs and experience.
- We have a history of training people.
- We listen and try to respond to our people’s needs. We don’t always get it right, but we will keep trying. We are owned and run by veterinarians who work on the floor in the clinic.
- We can be flexible with working hours - it has to be a win-win.
Why you might not want to join us.
- Our case load is high, unpredictable, and complex. This brings its stressors as our clients are very devoted. They are just about always very grateful for the work we do, but they are with us to get the care they need and really want to see that delivered in a compassionate and professional way.
- There is a high rate of change in the organization at the moment. We are making changes to procedures, protocols, and staffing levels. These are all with the intent of improving our environment, but some changes take time to progress into reality, and adaptation is required.
Please submit your CV and a covering letter to us at HR@vss.net.au. We understand the employment market for Veterinarians is competitive and are happy to talk about remuneration. For further information about us and the careers we offer, check out our website vss.net.au.