This policy seeks to document the invoicing policy with regard to consultation fees at VSS.
VSS CONSULTATION INVOICING SCHEDULE
The client care team will approve the invoice once the client has entered the consultation with the team member.
Should the clinician involved with the case determine a different invoice type, they can either
- Alter the invoice item line if the financial value is higher
- Apply a discount line item if the financial value is lower
Initial consultations - this type of consultation refers to occasions where a patient is seen at VSS for the first time for a new problem. An initial consultation should be invoiced for this service.
Weekend Initial consultations - this type of consultation is where a patient is assessed for the first time on a Saturday, Sunday or Public holiday. For these consultations, use the ‘after hours’ consultation items.
- Revisit 1 - a revisit consultation for an ongoing condition that requires significant review of records, re taking of history, physical examination and discussion that is anticipated to take longer than 30 minutes. 45 minutes should be scheduled
- Revisit 2 - a revisit consultation for an ongoing problem that requires a review of records, re taking of history, physical examination and discussion that is anticipated to take 15-30 minutes. 30 minutes should be scheduled.
- Revisit 3 - a revisit consultation for an ongoing condition that is likely to take less than 15 minutes. 15 minutes should be scheduled.
- Where possible, the type of subsequent revisit appointment should be anticipated at the end of the previous visit and noted in the records - the specific location can be identified by each local team.
- If it is not documented and it is unclear to the reception team, then a revisit two appointment should be scheduled.
Post operative consultations
- The first revisit consultation after surgery (for example a routine wound review and progress check two weeks after surgery) should be scheduled for 15 minutes. A surgery post op consultation invoice (zero invoice value) should be invoiced for this service.
- Subsequent revisit consultations would attract revisit fees that correlate with anticipated time as noted above in revisit consultations.
- If a VSS veterinarian assesses a patient that is being primarily managed in hospital by AES or PICU, then one inpatient assessment fee should be invoiced for that day.
- A dressing change appointment should be scheduled for 15 minutes
- An invoice should include the dressing change procedure invoice line (proc: dressing change) which will be invoiced at the same rate as a revisit 3 appointment.
Effective date - 13 February 2023